- 2 tablespoons of Hikari koji miso (or another sweet miso)
- 100ml hot/boiled water
- 10 Edible magnolia flowers and/or buds.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Whisk the miso in with the hot water until it has thoroughly dissolved.
- Heat the olive oil, add the magnolia buds and very gently, fry for 1 minute. They will start to open and bubble.
- Add enough of the miso stock to be half-way up the buds. Simmer very gently for 2 minutes.
- Using some cooking tongs, delicately take the magnolia buds out and place on kitchen paper to drain.
- Put the braised magnolia flower buds on a raw magnolia flower petal.
- Simmer the miso stock until it has reduced and become relatively thick. Pour over the braised magnolia flower buds. Serve.
Serves: 2 as a starter