Brined Alexanders? Sounds really weird… all that salt etc. But not so, because this Alexanders recipe turned out a treat.
Let the Alexanders sit in the cupboard for a couple of months before using. I make wild relishes with them.
- Young pre-flowering Alexanders stems (chopped)
- Blanch the Alexanders in 1tbsp of salt per pint of boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and immediately put into cold water.
- Next add 1 heaped tbsp of sea salt for every half pint of boiled water. Allow to cool slightly.
- Put the Alexanders into a sterilised heat resistant jar, and pour over the brine solution until the Alexanders are totally covered.
- Cap and store in cupboard for two months before using.
Makes: As many jars as you have Alexanders for.
Further reading: Traditional and Modern Use of Alexanders