For this burdock root recipe, you can use either the roots of Greater Burdock (Arctium lappa) or Lesser Burdock (Arctium minus). Burdock roots can be roasted with other vegetables at the same time. They offer a taste similar to parsnips which complements the crispy coating.
Burdock Root Recipe Ingredients
- Burdock roots, well-scrubbed and peeled
- 1 rounded tablespoon flour
- 1 rounded tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Burdock Root Recipe Instructions
- Cut the roots into chip-sized wedges, discarding any that are tough and place in a saucepan, covered with water. Parboil for 10 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 200ºC gas mark 6, adding a roasting tin to heat up at the same time.
- While the burdock roots are partially cooking, mix the flour and cheese together in a bowl and season well. You could also add a pinch of cayenne, chilli flakes or paprika if wished.
- When the 10 minutes are up, drain the burdock roots and quickly add to the flour/cheese mixture and toss to coat
- Place the hot roasting tin on the hob over medium heat, add olive oil to just coat the bottom followed by the burdock roots. Turn in the hot oil. Place in the oven for about 40 minutes or until golden. Serve at once.