Many folk get stuck when it comes to Chickweed (Stellaria media). Chickweed is a hugely versatile plant, and one that has many more uses than as a simple wild salad green, which is what most folk use it for. In this chickweed recipe, it’s earthy flavour combines beautifully with chickpeas.
This recipe is based on Wildman Steve Brill’s recipe found in his huge resource called The Wild Vegetarian Cookbook. A must-have book irrespective of whether you are veggie or not.
Chickweed Pate Recipe Ingredients
- 5 handfuls of cooked chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and chopped)
- 3 large handfuls of fresh chickweed leaves and stems (chopped)
- 4 scallions (chopped)
- 2 handfuls of fresh tarragon (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of brown rice vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons of miso
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Chickweed Pate Recipe Instructions
- In a food processor briefly blitz the chickpeas and chickweed until mixed.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and process until the right consistency (rough or smooth).
- Serve with biscuits or crudités.