With Autumn definitely on its way, and the sun starts setting early, now is the perfect time to give you body a boost with this delicious, nourishing and health-boosting elixir.
I’ve been making it for quite a few weeks using dried elderberries from last year, and dried nettle that I had gathered this Spring. I have to say that I can’t keep my hand out the fridge with this one. With no sugar and only the scrummy, warming flavour of organic honey to sweeten it, even the most risk-averse inner child (or outer one for that matter) will love it!
You’ll learn the parts used as food and medicine, harvest time, recipes, nutrition and other ways humans use this amazing plant — click here to find out more.
- 4tsps of dried stinging nettles
- 2 cups of boiling water
- ½ cup of dried elderberries
- 1 cup of cold water
- 340 grams of organic honey with royal jelly
- The night before put the nettle into a heat resistant jar with a lid and add the boiling water. You can use a saucepan if you like) Leave to infuse overnight. The strain in the morning reserving the liquid.
- Next put the elderberries into a pan, add the nettle liquid and the cold water, then bring to a simmer, and keep simmering for 30 minutes without a lid.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, then add honey, stir, then pour into sterile bottles and then keep in the refrigerator.
Makes: Approximately 500ml