This elderberry vinegar recipe makes a unique alternative to traditional Balsamic vinegar. Deep, rich, and beautifully smooth it goes extremely well as a salad dressing. It can also be used as a ‘hot toddy’ to ward of the Winter sniffles.
Elderberry Vinegar Recipe Ingredients
- 400g ripe Elderberries
- 500ml of organic red wine vinegar
- 700g of organic cane sugar
Elderberry Vinegar Recipe Instructions
- Put Elderberries in a bowl and pound lightly with the end of a rolling pin.
- Pour over the red wine vinegar, and cover with muslin. Leave for 5 days.
- Strain through a fine sieve, and pour the liquid into a saucepan.
- Add the sugar, and warm until dissolved. Keep stirring so the sugar doesn’t burn or start to caramelise. Then bring to a rolling boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now pour into sterilised bottles and cap. Make sure you use a cork or plastic topped caps otherwise they will corrode due to the vinegar.