Fat Hen makes a delicious green vegetable. In this recipe Marion Turnbull, our resident Wild Food Cook has created a simple, light Fat Hen recipe that works great either as a main course or as a mezze.
Fat Hen Recipe Ingredients
- 3 medium courgettes, sliced
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 50g cheddar cheese
Fat Hen Recipe Pesto
- 100g Fat Hen
- 50g pine nuts (or any nut of your choice)
- 100ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
Fat Hen Recipe Instructions
- Blend the Fat Hen and pine nuts until coarsely chopped.
- Add olive oil and blend again along with the salt and pepper, until of the pesto consistency you like.
- Layer the sliced courgettes and tomatoes in an ovenproof dish.
- Smear pesto on top of the courgettes and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Bake in an oven at 190C / Gas Mark 5 for 40 minutes.
You may not need all the pesto, so store in a fridge in a jar (covered in oil) and use within one week on things like jacket potatoes, pasta etc.
Serves: Two as a main course, or four as a mezze