- 150g quinoa grains
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 100g fat hen leaves, well washed
- Vinaigrette dressing
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- Bunch spring onions, sliced
- ¼ cucumber
- 2 sprigs mint
- Small handful flat-leaved parsley
- Place 400g water in a saucepan with the turmeric and bring to the boil. Add the quinoa and simmer for 15 minutes, when all the water should be absorbed and the grains soft. Tip into a bowl, pour over some dressing and gently fork through. Leave to cool.
- Place the fat hen leaves in a steamer and place over boiling water for 2-3 minutes. The leaves will quickly collapse like spinach. Remove and chop roughly.
- Prepare the vegetables. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds by running a teaspoon down the centre. Cut into strips and then across into dice, repeat with the pepper. Remove the roots from the spring onions and slice the stems, including some of the green leaves. Chop the herbs fairly finely.
- Gently toss all the prepared ingredients into the quinoa. Add some more dressing if the tabouleh seems a little dry. Serve.
Serves: 4 (as a side dish)