I love Garlic Mustard aka Jack By The Hedge (Alliaria petiolata), and while most of the wild food recipe books seem to concentrate on using the leaves and flowers.
I like to focus on the vast amount of stems that seem to get overlooked.
Here’s a quick Garlic Mustard recipe for those on the hurry-up.
Garlic Mustard Recipe: Ingredients
- 200g garlic mustard stems
- 30g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 400ml milk
- 100g Saint Agur blue cheese (or equivalent)
- cracked black pepper
Garlic Mustard Recipe: Suggested Instructions
- Chop the garlic mustard stems then bring a pan of water to the boil,place the stems into it and bring back to the boil, then drain and set aside.
- Now bring a pan of water to the boil and cook enough pasta for two people. While it is cooking…
- Put the butter into a small saucepan, and on low heat wait until it has melted, then add the flour and cook stirring all the time for about a minute. Make sure the flour does not burn. Then remove from the heat and slowly add the milk a little at a time making sure to stir continuously. Return to the heat and keep adding splashes of milk until it has all been added and is going thick. Then simmer the sauce for a further minute, and when done add the crumbled/chopped blue cheese, and stir until melted into the sauce.
- Mix together the garlic mustard stems, pasta and sauce and serve.