For this recipe, you’ll need young dandelion leaves, nettle leaves, wood avens leaves and tips, salt, pepper, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and fruity olive oil. Here’s how to prepare everything:
- Remove all the stems and any brown or discoloured leaves from the greens.
- Soak all the leaves in a large bowl of water and rub them gently between your hands to remove any dirt. Change the water at least four times.
- Drain and rinse all the leaves thoroughly until the water is clear.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt to the water.
- Add all the greens to the boiling water and cook them for about 10 minutes or until they’re tender.
- Stir the greens every five minutes with a wooden spoon.
- Drain the greens well and transfer them to a bowl.
- Drizzle some freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil over the greens and season with black pepper.
- Taste and add salt if needed.
- Serve your horta with feta or other goat or sheep cheese crumbled on top.
Enjoy your healthy and flavourful wild greens with lemon and olive oil.