This kelp seaweed recipe just bursts with nutrition. The kelp seaweed most often used in British cooking is called Oarweed (Laminaria digitata), another common name it goes by is Tangle.
It is very high in iron, iodine, bromine, phosphorus, boron, and zinc. Kelp seaweed also contains protein, sugar, starch, fat, vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B12, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, sodium, cobalt, chloride, potassium, sulphur, silicon, copper, manganese and many trace elements.
And kelp seaweed contains a natural version of sodium glutamate, which stimulates taste buds. It was the original source for MSG (monosodium glutamate).
Kelp also contains a further 5 key essential amino acids that are frequently missing in human diets, which makes it a particularly valuable and nutritious seaweed.
This week I’ve been nursing my sweetheart with a kelp seaweed broth recipe.
Nurse as in, being a flu-nurse.
This is real flu.
As in bone aching, head splitting, I want to curl up into a ball and cry flu.
Not a ‘sniffle and snot’ cold, that folk usually call flu.
No, this is flu where you just want to die.
It’s horrible. And no amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth helps.
So when either of us fall ill… we do ‘cat’.
Go to bed. Not eat. Drink lots of mugs of hot water and nutritious broths like this kelp seaweed broth recipe. And rest. Yes rest.
Something our culture doesn’t like.
Sick people walking around looking like death warmed up. And all because they don’t just…
…Stop. Rest. Sleep. Convalesce.
If you’re ill, be gentle with yourself. Stay in bed. Be idle.
And better yet, try my latest flu busting kelp seaweed broth.
Even my sweetheart thought it was exceptional.
I overheard her tell a friend on the phone that it was like having Paracelsus or an alchemist in the kitchen.
And it doesn’t matter whether you’re under the weather or not. This kelp seaweed broth recipe will just elicit untold scrumminess in your bones.
Give it a try. Enjoy.
Kelp Seaweed Broth Recipe: Ingredients
- 2 medium onions
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 20g dried kelp seaweed
- 40g fresh ginger root
- 50g fresh turmeric
- 1 litre chicken stock (or vegetarian equivalent)
- 15g dried porcini mushrooms
- 2tbsp oil
Kelp Seaweed Broth Recipe: Instructions
- Chop the onions and garlic. Slice the ginger and turmeric finely.
- Slice the kelp seaweed into roughly 3cms squares.
- Next heat the oil in a tall pot, and add all of the above chopped/sliced ingredients. Stir until the onion is translucent.
- Then add the porcini mushrooms and stock. Bring to a boil, then turn down on low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off and let sit for another 30 minutes. Then strain through a colander.
- Drink 3 cups a day if under the weather.
Makes around 600ml.