On a beautiful hot English summer afternoon I went picking Lime Flowers (Tilia Spp.) and Himalayan Balsam (Impatiens glandulifera) flowers. The scent from the Lime made my head reel as I drifted into reverie.
Being of a sober nature these days I get tired of hearing that the only drinks foragers make are ones that include alcohol, and in most cases get you mind bendingly whacked out of your head.
These days I choose to get drunk on Life, with nothing stronger than an espresso passing my lips. That wasn’t always the case I have to say, it’s just that I’ve now discovered better, healthier, more natural and stimulant free ways to experience ecstasy!
Enter the world of vitamin waters, or sobriety drinks as I call them. This one will hopefully have you purring with delight.
- 100g lime flowers
- 30 Himalayan/Indian balsam flowers
- 2tbsp clear honey or 15 dates.
- 2 litres water
- Put ingredients into a 2 litre clip top Kilner jar and stir until honey has dissolved.
- Allow to stand in direct sunlight on a windowsill for 2 days stirring morning and night.
- Serve either warm or ice cold. If you let the concoction stand for 4 days you’ll end up with a naturally effervescent drink, but it will be slightly more tart.
Makes: 2 litres