Nipplewort is a tasty wild edible green that stands up to frost and cold. In this Nipplewort recipe, I have combined it with the stems of Alexanders to produce a rich, scrummy cheesy pasta dish.
Nipplewort Recipe Ingredients
- 200g Nipplewort greens (chopped)
- 200g Alexanders stems (chopped)
- 200g Penne pasta
- 200g Creme fraiche
- 175g Gorgonzola or any type of blue cheese
- 1 Leek (thinly sliced)
- 3tbsp Dijon mustard or wholegrain mustard
- 6 Sun-dried tomatoes
- Oil & Butter
- Black pepper
Nipplewort Recipe Instructions
- Melt the butter and oil together in a large pan and add the leek. Gently saute for 10 minutes.
- While the leeks are cooking, boil the stems of Alexanders for 5 minutes. Strain and allow to drain, then immediately add to the leeks.
- Add the cheese, creme fraiche, mustard and black pepper and stir until everything has melted. Then take off the heat.
- While the vegetables are cooking, boil the Penne pasta in salted water according to the instructions on the packet, then drain reserving the cooking liquid.
- Tip the pasta into the sauce and stir. If too thick, add some of the cooking liquid. Immediately add the chopped Nipplewort greens and stir until the are fully wilted. You might also need to add a small amount of the cooking liquid.
- Toss in the sun-dried tomatoes and serve.