Delicious Oxeye Daisy (Leucanthemum vulgare) are budding forth as I write this. One of the most unique taste sensations in the hedge, I have a love affair with this plant that takes me into the realm of the sensuous.
The leaves and leaf tips are extraordinary, but the Oxeye Daisy flower buds have got to be tried to be believed. Divine is not too strong a word to describe them!
Oxeye Daisy Caper Recipe: Ingredients
- 500ml brown rice wine vinegar
- 1tsp sea salt
- 1tsp red pepper corns
- 1tsp mace
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- oxeye daisy flower buds (enough to fill two 0.25 litre kilner screw top jars)
Oxeye Daisy Caper Recipe: Suggested Instructions
- Put rice wine vinegar into a small saucepan, and add all the ingredients, except for the oxeye daisy flower buds.
- Bring the rice wine to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow sit for at least an hour until the mixture has gone warm/cold.
- In the meantime, put your oxeye daisy flower buds into the jars, and pack them down as much as you can.
- Next strain the vinegar through a sieve, to remove the spice ingredients, and pour into your jars until they are full, then cap.
- You may start eating them within 24 hours, but best to leave them to mature for a month.
Makes: 2 x 0.25 litre jam jars