In Sweden there is a traditional recipe for a rosehip soup that is made called Nyponsoppa. It is a cold desert fruit soup usually served with small almond macaroons.
When I returned to the kitchen and opened the fridge I was desiring something hot and spicy, and was hit by a sudden flash of inspiration.
The following rosehip soup recipe is the result. Participating friends all agreed that it worked extremely well, so that was enough for me to let you know about it. Enjoy!
Rosehip Soup Recipe – Ingredients
- 600g Japanese rosehips (Rosa rugosa)
- 3 red chillies
- 200g smoked tofu
- 2 Echalion shallots (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 500ml rosehip juice
Rosehip Soup Recipe – Suggested Instructions
- Cover rosehips with water and simmer for 20 minutes. Using a potato masher, mash the hips halfway through the simmering time.
- Strain the rosehip mixture through a muslin overnight to remove hairs and seeds.
- Roast the chillies until just turning brown, but not burnt. Put into a plastic bag or Tupperware and allow to sweat. This makes removing the skins easier. Then skin them, and roughly chop.
- In a saucepan fry the shallots until translucent, then combine the rose hip liquid, chicken stock along with the roasted chillies and diced smoked tofu. Simmer for 10 minutes, then blend to desired consistency.