Sea Aster (Aster tripolium) makes an ideal bedfellow with any line caught white fish. This dish can be made in advance and baked when needed. Serve with a salad or cooked green vegetable.
Sea Aster Recipe Ingredients
- 500g salad potatoes
- 8 plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- Good pinch dried oregano
- Good pinch thyme
- Good pinch saffron
- Small wine glass white wine
- 500g white fish
- 120g sea aster
For the topping
- 100g fresh bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Sea Aster Recipe Instructions
- If baking straight away, preheat the oven to 210ºC gas mark 7.
- Cook the potatoes in their skins for 15 minutes in boiling water, drain and dice by cutting into quarters.
- Pierce the skins of the tomatoes, in a bowl pour over boiling water, immerse for a minute and drain. Remove the skins, halve around the middle and squeeze out the excess liquid and seeds, then chop.
- Place the prepared tomatoes, oil, garlic, oregano, thyme, saffron and wine in a small saucepan and simmer gently for 5 minutes
- Cut the fish into mouth-sized chunks and place in either one large bowl or 4 individual bowls. Add the finely sliced sea aster and diced potatoes and mix.
- Pour over the sauce and season with freshly ground pepper. There is no need to add extra salt as the sea aster is naturally salty.
- For the topping, finely chop the garlic and add to the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the top and generously dribble with olive oil
- Bake in the prepared oven for about 25 minutes when the dish should be bubbling and golden and crunchy on top. Serve immediately.