Sea Purslane Atriplex portulacoides is a truly versatile vegetable that grows prolifically on salt marshes. I have made numerous Sea purslane recipes and each time I am awed by how good a food source it is.
Yet rarely does it get a mention beyond a few leaves in a side salad.
As this Sea purslane recipe proves, wild food cuisine does not need to be complicated. And when it comes to my style of cooking, less is often more.
Sea Purslane Recipe – Ingredients
- 1 onion (diced finely)
- 5 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 4 handfuls sea purslane
- 2 tbsp of rogan josh paste (level)
- 8ozs red lentils
- 24ozs water
- Coconut oil
Sea Purslane Recipe – Instructions
- Dice the onion and fry in a little coconut oil until translucent.
- Slice the garlic and leave for 15 minutes before adding to the sautéed onion.
- Next add the rogan josh curry paste. I like the Pataks brand available from your local Indian shop or corporate supermarket. Stir it into the onion and garlic mix and fry for 30 seconds before adding the sea purslane.
- Then add the red lentils and water, and simmer until the water has been absorbed and the lentils are soft. Serve with rice or chapatis.