Rummaging around in my very empty fridge, I chanced upon some renegade potatoes. “What are you doing in there?” I asked quizzically.
The reply was they made themselves lie beside the illustrious Sea Purslane (Atriplex portulacoides) because they thought they would be a nice fit.
In a word a big hint to combine them, and so I did with the results being “not bad” for such a simple wild food dish.
Sea Purslane Recipe: Ingredients
- 100g sea purslane (chopped)
- 4 medium red potatoes (grated)
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 3tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Sea Purslane Recipe: Suggested Instructions
- Grate the potatoes into a large bowl, add the sea purslane and then add the plain flour fold in until thoroughly mixed.
- Beat the eggs, then add them along with the lime juice, salt & pepper. Mix in well.
- Put a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat, add the oil, then put half the potato mixture in and flatten it down as much as possible, pop on the lid and cook for a good 5 minutes either side.
Serves: 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main.