Sea Beet is young, tender and the precursor to chard and beetroot. With her earthy taste, and uber nutrition, Sea Beet (Beta vulgaris maritima) is one of my all time favourite wild edible greens.
Barely a plant one could label as a weed, she sits preening herself down by the estuary, and coast, watching the hurried humans making as much racket as they can.
Giving herself over to me so I can feed myself, I conjure up this seafaring, warming Sea Beet recipe.
It might be Spring, but ’tis still mighty cold this year.
Sea Beet Recipe: Ingredients
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 3 rashers smokey bacon (chopped)
- 330g smoked cod (cut into pieces)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 150g carrots (chopped)
- 1g mace
- 500g fish stock
- 1 green chilli (chopped)
- 1 tin of haricot beans
- 300g sour cream
- 300g sea beet (chopped)
- salt & black pepper
Sea Beet Recipe: Suggested Instructions
- Fry the onion, pepper, bacon, green chilli and carrots until the onion is soft.
- Add fish stock, mace, sea beet and simmer until the carrots are nearly cooked.
- Next add the smoked cod and beans and simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in the sour cream, season with salt and pepper, then serve.