Smooth Sowthistle (Sonchus oleraceus) is cropping up everywhere at the moment. I skip out to my local patch to gather some of these tasty greens.
Did you know that sowthistle contains as many antioxidants as blueberries! Yup, I just checked it out, they are an uber-superfood!
- 150g young smooth sowthistle greens (chopped)
- 300g white cabbage (shredded)
- 2tbsp sesame seeds
- 2tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2tbsp linseed seeds
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 350g tempeh (cubed)
- 1tsp vegan stock powder
- 2 red chillies (sliced)
- 2tbsp tamari
- 1 cup fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- Toast the seeds in a pan and then grind in a pestle and mortar and then transfer to a salad bowl.
- Steam the white cabbage until soft, then the sowthistle until wilted.
- Heat the oil in a wok, add the tempeh and fry until golden brown. Put in a pestle and mortar and smash it up, then transfer to the salad bowl.
- Add some more oil to the wok and fry the garlic until just beginning to go golden, then add the water and tamari, add the cooked cabbage and sowthistle greens, along with the tempeh and seeds, and chillies and fry for a couple of minutes. Then return to the salad bowl.
- Now add the coriander and mint and stir in well.