This dish of squid dusted in flour and Cornish sea salt, makes for a wondrous taste-tingling experience. Combined with wild edibles such as rock samphire seeds deep fried in hot sesame oil, and other wild greens, it makes for an epicurean memory filled meal.
- 3 handfuls of finely sliced wild greens (whatever is in season e.g. garlic mustard, ramsons, nettle, nipplewort, hairy bittercress, black mustard etc.)
- 3tbsp rock samphire seeds
- 1/4tsp umami powder
- 1/2tsp ground ginger/fresh grated ginger
- 3tbsp sesame oil
- 1 handful of cashew nuts
- rice vinegar (to taste)
- tamari/soy sauce (to taste)
- 1tbsp honey
- 1 lemon (juiced + lemon zest to taste)
- Heat sesame oil until very hot, then add the rock samphire seeds and cashew nuts, fry for 30 seconds, then remove from oil and put aside.
- Add the dusted squid and cook until done. The flour mix includes sea salt, cracked black pepper, umami & ginger.
- Just before the end of cooking the squid add the sliced wild greens, rice vinegar, tamari/soya sauce, honey & finally the lemon juice.