This White Dead Nettle recipe (Lamium album) makes a refreshing change to the usual run-of-the-mill greens you pick up in your local grocery store. Don’t worry about getting stung because White Dead Nettle won’t sting you at all.
White Dead Nettle Recipe Ingredients
- 1 handful of white dead nettle leaves
- 1 small red onion (or half a larger one)
- 1 lime
- 2-3 good slices of ripe watermelon
- 100g feta cheese
- handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3-4 tbsp good olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sumac (optional – but does offer a lemon kick and a pretty dark red sprinkle)
- a few black olives
- black pepper
White Dead Nettle Recipe Instructions
- Gather the White Dead Nettle leaves together and cut into fine slices. Add to a bowl.
- Halve the red onion and cut very fine into half-moon slices. Add to bowl.
- Remove the rind and any pips from the watermelon, and cut into easily edible chunks. I usually cut the slices length wise once or twice and then again at right angles.
- Loosely crumble the feta and add to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Roughly chop the parsley and add with the oil and olives and then turn gently with your hands.
- Add a grinding of black pepper. There is no need for salt as the feta has plenty. Add a light sprinkling of sumac if using.
Serves: 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish.