With the Wild Garlic aka Ramsons (Allium ursinum) filling the hedgerows at the moment, along with lovely Stinging Nettle tips (Urtica dioica) I was wondering how I could combine them to make something other than pesto or soup.
Rummaging through my cupboards, I chanced on a few choice ingredients, and decided to combine them to see what might happen!
This recipe is the result, and even my sweetheart who is usually a bit sniffy about ‘quality food’ wolfed it down, asking me with dreamy eyes, if there might be some more.
Wild Garlic Recipe: Ingredients
- 30g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 125g hazelnuts
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 100g wild garlic/ramsons
- 50g nettle tops
- 1tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 egg (beaten)
- parmesan cheese
Wild Garlic Recipe: Suggested Instructions
- Put hazelnuts and bread into a food processor and pulse until chopped finely. Then add the wild garlic and nettle tops and pulse until chopped finely.
- Next fry the onion until translucent, then stir in the ingredients from the food processor, and mix well. Now add the vegetable stock powder and mix in well.
- Now add the beaten egg and stir into the loaf mixture.
- Grease a bread tin, and spoon in half the mixture, then place thin slices of parmesan cheese on top, and finish with the remainder of the mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake at 170° C for 15 minutes, then uncover and cook for a further 10 minutes. Go around the edges with a knife, then tip out onto a plate and serve.