Very few people mention using the root of sea kale, but in this sea kale recipe the deep flavours come through, a combination between cooked broccoli stems and sweet chestnuts. A very interesting sea kale recipe, and one well worth trying if you like something different.
A warning though, digging up sea kale roots needs the land owners permission, and because digging up the roots causes the plant to die, please only try this very occasionally. In some parts of the country sea kale is very scarce.
Read: Foraging And The Law
Sea Kale Root Recipe Ingredients
- 150g sea kale roots (grated)
- 150g sweet potato (grated)
- oil (couple of glugs)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 egg (beaten)
- salt & pepper
Sea Kale Root Recipe Instructions
- Grate sea kale root and sweet potatoes and combine in a bowl
- Add flour, salt & pepper and beaten egg, mix together
- Form into patties, then bake in a moderate over 160° C for roughly 20 minutes
Serves: 4 (as a side dish)